Thursday, July 8, 2010

Cross Here: Port of Entry

Dear Family & Friends:

As most of you know (and some may not!) I just arrived in El Paso, Texas where I will be spending the next four weeks. I came with the hopes of better discerning my hope to become a physician and am very excited to do that against the backdrop of particular clinic in the area, La Clinica Guadalupana. The Clinica was founded 15 years ago by the Sisters of Charity (who are also my hosts for the month!), and is in an "unincorporated" area of El Paso county. Unincorporated means that most homes do not have running water or electricity hookups and are sort of unofficially on the grid -- a bit like Appalachia. It is a very poor region of the country, and the clinic's function as a site of primary care is much needed. At the clinic, I will be working alongside their promotora de salud (health promoter) who does health education and prevention in the community, as well as shadowing their doc when he is in the office.

And that's about all I know! :) I'll let you know more as my time unfolds.

The drive out here was long, but beautiful -- especially our last day through western Texas and New Mexico (El Paso is actually south of a large part of New Mexico, which I did not know!) My dear friend Sarah drove with me from Nashville onwards after spending a night in the city and seeing our friend Erin's new home. Friends of Sarah's in Oklahoma City hosted us for the second night and we were even able to see a live music show where her friend Blake performed. The third day of driving brought us into Anthony, NM -- our final destination -- which is the suburb of El Paso where the Sisters' home is located. The house itself is quite a sanctuary, surrounded by peach orchards and infused with natural light. The house was custom built for the Sisters about four years ago, using an environmentally-friendly material whose name escapes me at the moment. Their little community includes the founders of the Clinica Guadalupana: Sister Janet, a physician herself, Sister Peggy, a nurse, and Sister Carol, a massage therapist, as well as Romina, a laywoman from the Philippines who teaches kindergarten, and Tracy, a recent graduate from the University of Dayton who will be teaching middle school. Oh, and three dogs and four cats from the rescue shelter. Their home is a kind, welcoming and relaxed one, and I can't believe it will also be mine while I am here.

I hope to use this space as one of reflecting/documenting/staying in touch... Please feel free to read along as much or as little as you would like! I'll do my best to write regularly and keep things interesting, informative and true :) I am just continuing my blog from last summer in El Salvador, keeping with the summer medical thread for now.

Con amor
With love

Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,
    I'm so glad to hear that you arrived safely in El Paso. I just emailed your dad yesterday to check on your status. I'm looking forward to your posts. Have a great month, and know you are welcome in Brewster when you return. We'll be here until 8/23.

    Love,
    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you're doing well. Thanks for keeping everyone updated.

    -John
    (at KC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was right there with you as you passed into El Paso and saw your new home for the first time. I share your serenity knowing you had arrived (finally) after the many months of dreaming, planning,praying and finally ... all culminating into reality...what a journey so far...now THAT's living life! Dear heart, you are being lifted up through many friend's prayer list for an experience which will live long through learning and helping others. It's like someone said at the picnic today when asked what they brought...cool in response, he said, "God made all the fruit, I just cut it up." Here's to honing your talents and sharing.
    Love,
    Mom & Tom, Jimmy & Hope

    ReplyDelete